Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Yikes! Drug Withdrawal Event!

I am on a drug for my fibromyalgia that has lots of side effects. I have been fortunate to benefit from it with no noticeable side effects. I have a tendency to react to drugs differently than most so I wasn't surprised.  However there is a caution about stopping this drug without help from the doctor. I paid it no heed when I ran out because I knew my husband would bring it home the next time he was in town and near the pharmacy. (In about four days)  However...

I saved one and took it Saturday after skipping Friday's dose.  Saturday was a great day. I thought I felt all right Sunday just a bit tired and somewhat irritable. Monday I got up and found myself busy and feeling good. I got a small wash done, made the bed, ate my breakfast and then started to feel nauseous.  Hmm? I decided first to try Tums.  Lots of burping and nausea but no relief.  I lay done on the bed and watched an episode for distraction but still quite nauseous.  I then looked up symptoms of drug withdrawal and found out that nausea was one of them. The recommendation was for ginger ale.
I had some and felt a little better.  I convinced myself I could wait until 4PM for my husband to get home with the med I needed.  By 1PM I was sick enough and had the dry heaves, that I called him at work and asked him to come home right after work stopping only for the med. He said that he wouldn't wait but would come now. He was still an hour and 15 minutes away.  By 2PM I was sicker than I ever remember with dry heaves and stomach ache.  The pain was intense and I couldn't stop crying. The last dry heave caused my head to explode so I was dealing with that as well.

When husband came through the door at 2:20PM he was shaken by how I was acting and feeling.  He quickly got my med out and gave me water.  I worked at calming myself while he rubbed my neck.  By suppertime I was able to eat some saltines and take my pain med.  Later I had some pudding which stayed down and watched an episode with him in bed.

I slept well and this morning feel like my 'regular' self.
So here's my advice. Read the literature on any med you are taking. Use caution.  Don't wait to get help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment